Thursday, December 27, 2012

Family Christmas 2012

     My house was so eerily quiet when I got home from work yesterday. I did, however, see a few items that were inadvertently left behind...a cap here, a scarf there, an iPod that someone HAD to come back for! They were little reminders of what an awesome extended weekend/holiday I had surrounded by the people I love most in the whole world! All the noise and chaos was worth every second. I've learned to be okay with a disorderly house for a few days in return for the pleasure of having my precious family in my home. Even though my heat went out on Christmas Day, we survived the night with some borrowed space heaters, and the best service guy in the world was there before noon the next day to fix it. (I'll give you his name and number if you need a heating/AC man) All in all, it was a great holiday full of hugs and love and kisses, and that's what makes it for me!
     I realize it sounds cliche to say that, but I will say it until the day I pass from this life. Maybe it was the way I was raised, not having a lot materially, but always having family in abundance...eleven siblings, ten or twelve aunts and uncles and countless cousins. Family (and all the traditions that come along with it) has always been a constant in my life, my rock, my foundation. I have done my best to instill that same sense of family in my children, who will hopefully pass down that same sense of family and tradition to the next generation as well.
     I'm not sure where I was going with this, but my family was on my heart and mind and I was feeling the void after having had them with me for several days. I am also feeling saddened from losing someone in our family yesterday who was very dear to us all. This man was married to my cousin for decades and remained a large presence in our lives even after the death of my cousin a number of years ago. He continued to not only attend our family reunions, but was always there to participate and help with food preparation or wherever he was needed. Thomas Echols will be greatly missed.
      To describe my family, I would need more adjectives than I probably even know. We're quite an assortment from shy to gregarious, restrained to outspoken, reserved to flamboyant...you name it. I think we complement one another. That's what makes our family dynamic work! And while my children are blessed with an abundance of friends, their siblings remain their very best friends, and that makes me tremendously happy and proud. So maybe my point here is to hold your family dear and hold them close, because as cliche as it may sound, they will be there when no one else is. I firmly believe this is what our Creator intended to be our foundation here on this earth. So carry on those family traditions. Take advantage of and enjoy the time you have together. Make those phone calls regularly and let them know how much you love and appreciate them. Don't let yourself live to regret that you neglected to do this while you had the opportunity.

P.S. I can't recount my Christmas experience without telling this story:
        Since I (shamefully) don't subscribe to the local newspaper or listen to the local radio station, I missed the fact that trash pickup would be on Monday instead of Tuesday as normally scheduled. Well, you can imagine how much trash I had with a houseful of company and with Santa having visited Monday night! So...I contacted one of our city workers to inquire as to whether they had any extra polycarts for which I could pay to have an extra one until next pickup. He informed me that no, they in fact did not. But lo and behold, when I got home yesterday, SOMEONE had taken my overflowing cart and emptied and returned it...someone who knows the real meaning of Christmas spirit, someone I'm proud to call my friend. Thank you, John. You're the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment